Importing Billing Codes
- Getting Started
- Administrator Tools & User Management
- Cases & Activities
- Contacts & Companies
- Events & Calendar
- Tasks & Workflows
- Messages & Email
- Documents, Templates & Uploads
- Invoices, Payments & Billable Time
- Adding new billing codes to ledgers
- Applying a Payment to an Invoice
- Bookkeeping in Ledger Activity
- Creating a Ledger Item
- Creating an Invoice
- Defining the Default Billing Rates in a Case
- Deleting an Invoice
- Exporting a LEDES98b Invoice
- Exporting an Invoice
- How to View an Open Invoice
- Importing Billing Codes
- Opening an Invoice as a PDF
- Recording and adding a payment to an open invoice
- Set up Auto Time Tracking in Firm Preferences
- Setting Default Billing Party in a Case
- Setting a Default Billing Rate for a User
- Setting and Using Quick Codes in Merus
- Setting up Courtesy Time Tracking
- Tracking Time in a New Case Activity
- Tracking Time while Composing a Message
- Tracking Time with a Ledger Item
- Undestanding the LEDES98b Invoice
- Using Billing Tags for Exported Invoices
- Using Uniform Task Based Management System (UTBMS) Codes in Merus
- Using a Custom Header on Invoices
- Using the Global Time Tracker
- What is a UTBMS code?
- Why aren't my UTBMS Codes showing up when adding a ledger item?
- Personal Injury Features
- Workers' Compensation Features
- Immigration Features
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you've got a lot of codes, entering them manually could take ages -- luckily, we've built a handy import tool that lets you skip the drudgery of manual entry. With a bit of initial formatting, your codes can be batch entered into the system with minimal effort.
Each header in your CSV file will assign the data below it to a specific field in MerusCase. You'll need to refer to these when setting up your data for import.
Here's a quick list of common headers and their associated fields:
- "task_code" - Task/Expense Code
- "activity_code" - Activity Code
- "expense_code" - Task/Expense Code
- "quick_code" - Quick Code
- "description" - Description
- "type" - Type
- "order" - Order
Formatting Your Billing Codes
- 1. Start by opening up a fresh excel spreadsheet.
- 2. Enter the headers at the top of each column.
- 3. Enter information for each code relevant to the column name (refer to the header descriptions above for assistance).
- 4. For Windows Users: Go to File > Save As and select as the file type CSV (MS-DOS)
(Note: You may be prompted to change the format of the file during this step)
- 4. For Mac Users: Save the sheet, and select MS-DOS Comma Separated (.csv) as the file format.
Importing Your Billing Codes
- 1. Open the new CSV file using Notepad(from step 4 above).
- 2. Copy the table contents to your clipboard by pressing Ctrl-C or Right Click > Copy. Make sure that you include the header!
- 3. Open MerusCase and navigate to Tools>Settings & Options.
- 4. Select CSV Billing Codes Import from the Data Import Tools menu.
- 5. Paste the CSV billing code data into the text box.
- 6. Click Examine Data in the top right corner of the page to verify the output. If everything looks good, go ahead and click Import to pull your codes into the system.