Exporting a LEDES98b Invoice
- Getting Started
- Administrator Tools & User Management
- Cases & Activities
- Contacts & Companies
- Events & Calendar
- Tasks & Workflows
- Messages & Email
- Documents, Templates & Uploads
- Invoices, Payments & Billable Time
- Adding new billing codes to ledgers
- Applying a Payment to an Invoice
- Bookkeeping in Ledger Activity
- Creating a Ledger Item
- Creating an Invoice
- Defining the Default Billing Rates in a Case
- Deleting an Invoice
- Exporting a LEDES98b Invoice
- Exporting an Invoice
- How to View an Open Invoice
- Importing Billing Codes
- Opening an Invoice as a PDF
- Recording and adding a payment to an open invoice
- Set up Auto Time Tracking in Firm Preferences
- Setting Default Billing Party in a Case
- Setting a Default Billing Rate for a User
- Setting and Using Quick Codes in Merus
- Setting up Courtesy Time Tracking
- Tracking Time in a New Case Activity
- Tracking Time while Composing a Message
- Tracking Time with a Ledger Item
- Undestanding the LEDES98b Invoice
- Using Billing Tags for Exported Invoices
- Using Uniform Task Based Management System (UTBMS) Codes in Merus
- Using a Custom Header on Invoices
- Using the Global Time Tracker
- What is a UTBMS code?
- Why aren't my UTBMS Codes showing up when adding a ledger item?
- Personal Injury Features
- Workers' Compensation Features
- Immigration Features
- Frequently Asked Questions
LEDES 1998b is an electronic invoice format used throughout the legal profession. Law firms and insurance companies alike produce and process LEDES invoices, and big-name billing software like QuickBooks is LEDES-compatible. MerusCase can also produce LEDES invoices from time users bill in cases, which will allow your firm to prepare charges to be billed electronically.
Specific case fields in MerusCase correspond mostly one-to-one with LEDES fields, and we also provide some extra fallback matching if fields in MerusCase are left empty. For example, the CLIENT_ID column in a LEDES invoice will pull data from the Electronic Billing ID field set in one of the case parties in Merus, but if that field is empty, then it will pull from the Carrier Billing Identifier field in Injuries, then it'll pull from the unique contact ID number for the bill-to party in the case, and then it'll pull from the case's unique ID number. While putting data where LEDES specifies, we observe other parts of the LEDES specification, such as per-field formatting and length restrictions.
How to Generate a LEDES Invoice
- While in MerusCase, click on Books > Open Invoices.
- Filter your invoices based upon the Billed date and/or Billed To party.
- Select all the invoices you would like to export, or click the blue 'Entire List' link to select them all.
- Click on "Export Invoices.", select "LEDES 1998B" from the dropdown menu and click "Export."
- Check your email. You should know be able to download the exported invoices.
- Use the LEDES import tool in your billing program to submit these invoices.
Depending on your clients preference, LEDES invoices can be exported as either a single file, or as one invoice per file. To export individual invoices as single file, follow the above steps, but select LEDES 1998b (Single File) during step 4.